Mobile Navigation
My Account


Call for Support
Home / Product Category / Whole House Audio / Volume Controls / Outdoor Volume Controls / OVC300 Outdoor Volume Control Self-Impedance Matching 300W Rotary Weather Resistant Housing Easy Jumper Setting

OVC300 Outdoor Volume Control Self-Impedance Matching 300W Rotary Weather Resistant Housing Easy Jumper Setting

Product code: OSD-OVC300

In Stock
Free Shipping
OSD Price: $44.99
Compare at: $89.95 You Save: $44.96 (50%)
Sold in single 1 = 1 pc
30-Day Money Back Guarantee

Features & Specifications

Unique easy-access impedance matching jumper setting without open the weatherproof seal box. If you enjoy an outdoor audio system, you'll love the convenience of outdoor volume controls! Now you can stop dragging the remote control outside where it is sure to get lost, or avoid having to get up and go to your audio source to turn the volume up or down. This pure resonance volume control offers 300 Watts of optimized sound quality with minimal bass roll-off. Control 1-8 pairs of speakers simultaneously with impedance matching. The autoformer design features outstanding sound quality due to high permeability steel utilization in the volume control core. Comes with Grey or white face plate. In addition, the OVC-300 includes an easy access impedance switch that lets you set the impedance without opening the box.


Other Product Info

Brand new design impedance matching switch - now you can set up the impedance matching dip switch from outside of the volume control without opening the outside box.


  View Owner's Manual            Product Information


48 Questions & 50 Answers
from Pinehurst NC asked:
November 29, 2019
I have two 8 ohm speakers on my rear deck and would like to be able to control the volume on them independently from the 

volume of the stero from inside the house. Can you recomend which volume control to use.

Thank you

1 Answer
Hi Doug:

The OVC300 would be your choice for an outdoor Volume Control. Or you can use an indoor version like the SVC300. It depends on the access of the speaker wires coming from inside. These are stereo volume controls, which you connect both the right and left speaker wire coming from your stereo inside the house before you separate the cables to each speaker. These have no power supply, so there is no gain added just attenuation of the signal where you are turning the volume down. So when the Volume Knob is fully opened (turned all the way clockwise until it stops), you are equal to the level from your source. When you start turning the volume knob down (counterclockwise), the audio signal is diverted 3 to 6 dB for each click into the right and left transformers until the sound becomes inaudible. So it depends on the accessibility of your wiring.

Good luck


Submitted by: Tim Leahy on December 3, 2019

Siavash Khajehpour
from Oakville, Ontario, Canada asked:
July 3, 2019

I am interested in this producgt,

1) do you ship to Canada

2) can the input and output  wires be connected to the board directly and not be tied to the wires shown in the photos?


1 Answer
Hi Siavash:

I believe you can check on our web site and see if it gives you an option to ship directly to Canada. Or contact our customer service at 1-562-697-2600 ask for customer service.

The Design does not feature input and output connections on the circuit board like the in-wall versions of our Volume Controls. The input and output cables are connected directly to the internal circuit board.


Submitted by: Tim Leahy on July 7, 2019

from Pottstown, PA asked:
June 25, 2019
I have similar volume controls to run stereo pairs around my workplace, but if I wanted to run a pair of patio speakers with an outdoor subwoofer, how would I control the volume for both the subwoofer and the speakers with this volume control?
1 Answer
Hi Rich:

That is a tough question, what Subwoofer and Satellite speakers do you have? Do have the product already or trying to figure out what to buy? If you have a subwoofer/satellite system where you are running a full range signal to a subwoofer with built-in low pass crossover and high pass output to your satellites, then the OVC300 would go in-line before the Subwoofer. We do have an SSVC2 dual source, dual zone speaker Selector that would work but is more for indoor application and I am thinking you are looking for an outdoor option. I want to discuss your system further; I am curious about your whole system; we have some new wireless options that would allow you to control your volumes from your Smartphone or tablet.


Submitted by: Tim Leahy on June 30, 2019

from Arizona asked:
February 1, 2019
Hello, I would like to have 4 speakers wired throughout my patio. My stereo has two channels available and my stereo operates with 8ohm impedance per channel. I was thinking if I could have two 8-ohm speakers connected and series (16-ohms) and use this for impedance matching (using 1/2x setting) back down to 8ohms to be able to connect to my receiver? The same would be done with the other pair of speakers.
1 Answer
Hi Speaker-King: Typically we recommend using the Impedance Matching Volume Controls with no more than two pairs of speakers before having to add a speaker selector and dedicated Volume Control to one or two other pairs of speakers. In reality, there are three settings on each Volume Control, 1/2X, 4X, and 8X. These numbers signify how many 8-ohm pairs connected in parallel to the Amplifier/Receiver. In your case, if you combine the two pairs of 8-ohm speakers in parallel to the outputs wires of the OVC300 and set the Impedance Matching switch to 1/2X, the Sony Receiver will see an 8-ohm load at the Speaker B output connection (Right and Left; +/-). I am assuming you have a pair of 8-ohm speakers connected to Speaker A Output of the SONY. So if you were to wire the two pair of speakers directly back to speaker B bypassing the SVC300, the Receiver would see a 4-ohm load which by itself might not be a problem unless you decide to play both Speaker A and Speaker B at the same time. Note, this would cause a 2.6-ohm load, under the 4 -ohm safety limit. You certainly can add a second OVC300, one to each pair of outdoor patio speakers it would most likely present a little safer load to the SONY. Another option for you to check out would be our SSVC2 2 zone speaker selector with individual Internal Impedance Matching Volume Controls per each channel. That would be installed right at the SONY Receiver. So you have three choices, 1) a single OVC300 wired to the two pairs of 8-ohm speakers, 2) 2 OVC300 one for each pair of 8-ohm speakers with both OVC300 wired back to Speaker B and connected in Parallel or utilizing the SSVC2 and wiring one pair to Zone 1 and the second pair to Zone 2. More questions; Note: The AP550TT is a single stereo Dual Voice coil speaker that would not work for your application. TL/5395
Submitted by: Tim Leahy on February 5, 2019

from Holmdel, NJ asked:
August 20, 2018
I am currently running an Onkyo TX-RZ820 in the house and am looking to have the Zone 3 pre-out feed an AMP300 that will drive either three or four pairs of outdoor 8ohm speakers. My desire is to have a volume control for each pair of speakers and was wondering if it was more appropriate to go with either the 100W or 300W OVC?
1 Answer
Hi Robert: Always better to go big, pick the OVC300. These are passive devices that attenuate the volume not add gain. The way they work is when you are turning down the volume the signal diverts into the transformer (one for the right channel and one for the left channel). If the transformer is not big enough it will saturate the transformer before the signal is inaudible causing the signal to distort. The myth is if you turn the volume control down to where you do not hear the music anymore then the Volume Control must have turned off. So you have an active signal still diverting into the transformers. This why we recommend turning the zone off with the on/off switch of the Speaker Selector especially if not planning on listening to that area for any length of time. TL/5173
Submitted by: Tim Leahy on August 22, 2018

from Canada asked:
July 27, 2018
I currently use Sonos Amps to power my outdoor speakers, would I be able to insert these inline to act as an additional physical volume control?
1 Answer
HI Steve: If you are just connecting to a single pair of speakers per each SONOS Connect Amplifier (assuming you have more than one). I would recommend the OVC305 Resistor based Outdoor Volume Control which would feature your best sound quality (broader frequency response with no high or low-end roll-off inherent in auto-former style VC) and when you turn the volume knob all the way counter-clockwise you disconnect the signal (full off). This Volume Control has no Impedance matching so you are limited to a single pair of speakers connected to the SONOS Connect Amplifier. If you have 2 pairs of speakers connected I would recommend using our OVC300 Outdoor Impedance Matching Volume Control and connecting the two speakers in parallel after the Volume Control and setting the impedance switch to 1/2X. Note these Volume Controls are passive devices (both Resistor and transformer based) with no external power supply. They attenuate the signal (turn the signal down, no gain added) from whatever volume level you have set on the SONOS Connect. As you turn the knob counterclockwise the signal is diverted into the Autoformers on the back of the Volume Control so eventually, the sound becomes inaudible. It does not fully turn off even though you can no longer hear it. Most of our application use these Impedance Matching Volume Controls with a Speaker Selector which has a dedicated on/off switch per each zone. Bottom line no problem adding one of our Volume Controls just pick the one best for your application. If you need further clarification based upon your system setup; TL/5129
Submitted by: Tim Leahy on August 2, 2018

from NJ asked:
April 9, 2018
Thanks so much for responding to questions. I have a Control4 Audio Matrix (C4-16ZAMSv3-B) and a Control4 NonMatrix 8 Zone Power Amplifier (32 Channels). One zone includes two Episode® Landscape Series 360° Speaker. I would like add a volume control to just one of the two speakers. Can you please make a recommendation on the appropriate volume control. Thanks
1 Answer
Hi Kurt: You do not sound like you are worrying about Impedance Matching so I would recommend the OVC305R Resister based Outdoor volume control. It has a broader Frequency Response with no high or low end roll off. You also can turn the Volume control to full off/disconnect when turning the volume knob all the way counter clockwise until it stops. This a Break before Make design so there is a disconnect between clicks making sure the resistors do not short out. A true audiophile sounding volume control. Perfect for you application. Good luck TL/4897
Submitted by: Tim Leahy on April 17, 2018

Kevin Wright
from Atlanta asked:
May 16, 2017
I have an Onkyo TX-NR646 and plan to utilize Zone 2 for a pair of speakers on the back deck. I currently haven't purchased anything yet so looking for advice on the best was to control the speakers on the deck. Using the line in input or just running speaker wire from zone 2? thanks
1 Answer
Hi Kevin: If you are just running a single pair of outdoor speakers you can connect ZONE2 speaker Level output as long as you are only running a 5.1 system. But if you are planning a 7.1 or 7.2 system the ZONE2 speaker level will not work and you will need to go to plan B using the Pre amp outputs (the two RCA jacks next to the two Subwoofer outputs Pre-Out). Zone 2 is labeled Line Out. Two choices depending if you are planning more than a single pair of speakers. First our XMP100 Class D amplifier can be used to control one or even two pair of speaker featuring Speaker A and Speaker B for your outdoors. The second option is to add a AMP200 especially if you might plan to add other speakers throughout the house. You can use our SVC300 Volume Control with either a single pair as you already planned (so you can control at the speakers manually) or use to control two pair, or even two volume controls one for each pair. Just depends on how much control you will need. Note you never can have too much power so if your budget allows it the AMP200 would be best choice. TL/4368
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on May 17, 2017

from N.J. asked:
May 14, 2017
I have a passive outdoor sub woofer that has 2 sets of wires coming out for the satellite speakers. The satellites are too loud and I want to put a volume control AFTER the sub to be able to turn the volume down on the satellites only. I have 2 pair of satellite speakers. Do I need one or two volume controls? Should this work for what I'm doing? thanks.
1 Answer
Hi Ken: It depends on how much control you want. One Volume control will control both speakers equally, but a Volume Control for each pair will allow a little more control. Both will work for your application. Whether you use one or two Volume controls Impedance matching Setting will be 1/2X for either application you choose. TL/4365
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on May 17, 2017

from Hillsborough, NC asked:
May 3, 2012
I have an Onkyo TX-NR1007 that is currently driving a pair of AP650 (6 years old and still sound great) on a screened porch via Zone 2. I want to add some RS820OM for a pool area and am thinking about using a set of OVC300 to allow me to control the sound levels differently on the two pairs of speakers. How, exactly, would you wire these in parallel? Run a length of 14/4 from the outputs on the receiver and then split it to go into both OVCs and then from each OVC to the corresponding pair of speakers? What is the best way to split the cables? Or run 2 pairs of 14/4 from the receiver, one to each OVC?
1 Answer
Hi Heath: The best way to split the cable is to run a single 14/4 out to the first OVC300. Then using something like our Aqua Blue terminating connectors split the 14/4 with two different lengths of 14/4 so you will need 4 Aqua Blue connectors each with three conductors tied together. Then connect one of the new 14/4 to the first OVC300 and the second one to the second OVC300. From each of the OVC300 connect to the corresponding pair of speakers with two 14/2 speaker cables.You will need two more pairs of Aqua Blue connectors to terminate the pair of RS820OM Rock speakers. Set the Impedance matching to 1/2X on the OVC300. Then set the volume controls to full open (all the way to stop clockwise) for both. Adjust your volume on the Onkyo zone 2 to just below clipping. Note if the amp gets real hot or actual shuts down you will need to change the Impedance settings to 4X on the Volume controls. But looking at the Onkyo TX-NR1007 (a beast) I do not think you will have a problem at the 1/2X setting. We do have 14/2 and 14/4 CL3 rated speaker cable that can be buried as well in 50, 100 and 500 foot lengths. Thank you for considering OSD branded products, good luck. TL
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on May 3, 2012

from Idaho asked:
May 1, 2017
Hi there! I am currently running one pair of outdoor Polk Atrium 6 speakers off of zone 2 on my Yamaha RX-V679 receiver. I would like to add another pair of outdoor speakers for the yard to also run off of zone 2. I would also like volume control for each pair. How would I correctly go about doing this as I've heard to not run more than one pair of speakers off of a Zone 2? Is this the correct volume control that I would need and would I also need an additional amp to connect to zone 2? Thanks!
1 Answer
Hi Erik: The best solution for you is to use our XMP 100 Digital Amplifier. Unlike our AMP120 which we do not recommend having more than a single pair of speakers playing at a time but the XMP-100 is 93% efficient so handles a 4 ohm load better than the AMP120. The OVC300 is the best choice for Volume Controls for your outdoor speakers and you will want to set the impedance matching to 1/2x for both controllers. The XMP-100 would connect to the Zone 2 pre amp output of the Receiver with an RCA stereo patch cord. Then you would run a four conductor speaker cable to each Volume Control and then two 2 conductor cables one to each Atrium speaker. That should work for your application TL/4341
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on May 8, 2017

james ackley
from Vidor Texas asked:
December 26, 2016
I have a side by side with 6 speakers on the rear top behind me and when riding I could not hear the music so I turned 2 of the speakers facing me but now its too loud so I am wanting to control the volume of those 2 front facing speakers so as I can turn them down alone. What do you recommend? I am looking at the OVC300 Outdoor Volume Control Self-Impedance, What do you think?
1 Answer
Hi James: The OVC300 will work. I am curious what the rest of the setup is for you. Do you mean 6 speakers or 3 pair and one pair you want to add the Volume Control. Are you using a speaker selector and what Amplifier are you using? TL/4154
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on December 27, 2016

from Rushville, IN asked:
October 11, 2016
I'm trying to hook up a volume control with off switch by my hot tub outside. I purchased VC105 In-Wall Impedance Matching Volume Control with On/Off Switch and AL-DBPV1C Waterproof Box to Install In-wall Volume Control Outdoors. I'm wondering now if this OVC300 is what I should have purchased because I still need some type of outdoor box to install the switch in, then the waterproof box over it. I guess my question is, do you sale something that this vc105 switch will mount in so I can mount it to a post on my deck. I went to 2 different places today that sale electrical items and I struck out.
1 Answer
Hi Craig: The VC-105 is still your best option from us with the weaterproof cover; Check out waterproof boxes from Grainger: Good luck TL/4091 PS: One other option based upon how many other speakers you have connected in your system. If tis is your only pair of speakers or you are using a speaker selector with good internal protection you should consider the OVC 305 R White or Grey. It is a Resister based outdoor Volume Control that features make a break before Make design and does not have impedance Matching Volume Control but is better sounding and when you do turn the knob counter clockwise all the way to stop it is truly off. TL/4091
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on October 21, 2016

from Ohio asked:
August 31, 2016
I have a Sony receiver with 8 ohm output. I plan to hook up two Dual Voice Coil Rock Speaker to the “B” speaker output I plan to use the OVC 300 volume control I plan to use 14-4 direct burial cable in plastic conduit The specs on the speakers are as follows: Contractor Series MR-8S 8” Dual Voice Coil Poly Resin Weatherproof Woofer – 8” Poly Pro Woofer with rubber surround Tweeter – Two 1” Mylar Tweeters Response – 60Hz-20kHz Impedance- 8 ohm Max power - 120 Watts Sensitivity – 90dB As my rock speakers are Dual Voice coil, they have a cable with 4 wires coming from them. How do you suggest I connect the two speakers (8 wires) to the OVC300?
1 Answer
Hi John: On our site there is an image on the SVC300 page that show the color scheme for the input and output wiring. 14/4 typically has Red, Black, White and Red jacketed conductors... 14/4 from Receiver SVC300 Input Red Right Positive Red Right Positive Input Black Right Negative Black Right Negative Input White Left Positive Blue Left Positive Input Green Left Negative Black Left Negative Input Note; all cables on the SVC300, both Input and output feature two conductor molded together with a black ground for all four choices SVC300 Output 14/4 x 2 (one 14/4 to each DVC speaker) Green Right Positive Output Red Right Positive Output to speaker Black Right Negative Output Black Right Negative Output to speaker White Left Positive Output White Left Positive Output to speaker Black Left Negative Output Green Left Negative Output to speaker Not sure what the conductors are on your DVC Rock speakers just connect corresponding right (positive and Negative) and left (positive and negative) to the correct inputs of the speakers. You will connect the two 14/4 cables in parallel to the output side of the SVC300, set impedance switch to 1/2x Let us know if that answers your question... TL/4041
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on September 1, 2016

from Seattle, WA asked:
August 18, 2016
I have an Onkyo TX-NR545 and plan to hook up outdoor speakers to zone 2. I have two Klipsch AW-650 in the patio and two Klipsch AWR-650 rocks out in the yard. I'd like to be able to control the volume of the patio and yard separately. The AWR-650s are "true two-way" speakers meaning they have left and right channel speakers in each rock and have separate wires to connect them. So this ends up as three pairs of speakers. What would be the best wiring configuration with two OVC300's? Could I mix one OVC300 with the single AW-650 and another OVC300 with the AWR-650s wired in series or parallel?
1 Answer
Hi Paul: I am assuming you are connecting these from the Speaker Level Zone 2 output. We typically do not recommend running multiple speakers off a zone two output but I would recommend connecting the the pair of patio speakers with the single OVC 300 and then the two Dual voice coil stereo rocks in parallel to the second OVC 300. Make sure you set the impedance setting to 4X. Check your receiver to see if it gets hot to the touch when playing both the patio and rocks speakers at high volume. The OVC 300's will do the impedance matching so your receiver sees a consistent 8 ohm load. Typically the Japanese Receivers will have relay that will shut down before there is any damage caused by a low impedance load. The next step would be to add a dedicated High Current amplifier like our AMP 200 and connect to the Zone 2 pre-amp output. Good luck TL/4029
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on August 22, 2016

from The Burg asked:
August 7, 2016
The specs say this control can handle 150w rms, the owners manual says 100w rms. Which is it? Is this rating Per Channel or Total?
1 Answer
Hi CB: Worse case consider that these are rated at 100 Watts Continuous RMS power with peaks as high as 300 watts. But really an Impedance Matching Volume Control's main function is to help to protect your Amplifier/Receiver from an unwanted loads. Secondary is to help adjust the volume levels. Note: all these Volume Controls are passive devices that attenuate the volume level. You set the maximum level then turn the sound down (turning counter clockwise) by diverting the signal current into the two transformers (Right & Left Stereo). It does not have an on/off setting so when you turn it down to inaudible levels it does not stop diverting the current into the transformer. To turn fully off hopefully you will have a speaker selector with an on/off switch or a speaker A or B switch on the Amp/Receiver. The OVC 300 Volume Control has the highest rated protection. I hope that helps TL/4013
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on August 9, 2016

from charlotte asked:
June 21, 2016
is there any way to output 2 channel audio to two separate rock speakers with one volume control? or can this only handle 2 channel for one speaker? how would the wiring be set up?
1 Answer
Hi Jim: These are Impedance Matching Outdoor Volume Controls that provide you a couple of options. The Volume control is stereo with a left and right (+/-) Input and Left and Right (+/-) output. If you are buying it to power just two pair of speakers, no problem you just splice the outputs in Parallel positive to positve and negatives to negative. You just splice two right channels and two left channels. The internal Impedance setting would be 1/2x. There is also a 4x and 8X which are settings when you are connecting multiple Volume controls from a speaker selector. So if you have a four zone speaker selector with four pair of speakers, one pair per zone with a volume control then your would set the impedance to 4X on all four volume controls. So yes you can connect up to two pair of speakers off a single OVC300 Volume Control. TL/3946
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on June 22, 2016

from Rochester, MN asked:
May 12, 2016
I just received this volume control today. I didn't realize when I bought this volume control that it had pigtails. I was thinking I would run my speaker wire directly to the volume control. I have two questions: 1) if I wire my 12 gauge speaker wire to the pigtails coming out the bottom of the volume control, what kind of wire connector do you recommend? Having eight connectors in a 3/4" conduit will be tight, curious to your thoughts. 2) if I decide to wire my speaker wire directly to the speaker control, you unscrew the four screws on the cover, pull off the knob, but there appears to be a rubber gasket on the dial control. How do you remove that without damaging it so you can take off the cover? Thanks in advance!
1 Answer
Hi Scott: The OVC Series of Volume Controls all feature hard wired input and output Color Coded Conductors. They are soldiered directly to the circuit boards, there are no removable connectors. Ironically most input and output connectors only accept up to 14 gauge and that is real tight so 12 gauge is better to be terminated with pigtails, now the new challenge how to terminate the 12 gauge to the pigtails with terminal cups that will fit into you 3/4" conduit/pipe. We do have our Aqua Blue weatherproof Electrical connectors with Silicon filling. You might be able to get away with smaller connectors since they will be in the conduit. Good luck TL/3876
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on May 13, 2016

from Rochester, MN asked:
April 29, 2016
I have 12 gauge direct burial speaker wire to my 100W outdoor speakers around 125 feet from the receiver The manual for this volume control says 14-16 gauge. Will this be a problem, or do I risk damage?
1 Answer
HI Scott: No problem running a larger gauge wire in your system, you only run into problems when running too small a conductor like an 18 gauge over the same length, then you would be limiting the amount of current. In an 8 ohm setup you will experience signal loss when limiting the gauge of the wire for longer runs. We recommend a minimum 16 gauge up to 80 feet, 14 gauge up to 150 feet and 12 gauge above. If you are running wire for Sub woofer only then you will want to increase the 16 to 14 gauge above 50 feet and to 12 gauge above 100 feet. You do have to take in to consideration what components you are terminating the wires to. Most Volume controls and Speaker Selectors are limited to 16 and are tight on 14 gauge. The OVC300 is terminated to bare wire so will easily work with 12 gauge. Take a look at our Aqua Blue wire nuts ideal for direct burial. They feature silicon in the connector. You are good with 12 gauge TL/3848
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on May 4, 2016

from Chicago, Illinois asked:
April 25, 2016
I have a pair of rock speakers (insignia NS-R2111 - 8 ohms) connected to A Pioneer VSX--1130 audio receiver (6 ohms). When I use this volume control, I need to CRANK the receiver up to the MAX and have the volume control cranked up to the MAX.....and then I still only get minimal sound coming out of the speakers. Could this have anything to do with this volume control switch?
1 Answer
Hi Nick: A couple of issues, you have a 7.2 Audio Video Receiver that has no pre-amp or speaker level output for a second Zone. What else are you connecting to the Receiver? Have you tried bypassing the Volume control and connecting the speakers directly to your output? When you say you have the Volume set to max I am assuming you mean fully open where you are not diverting any signal to the transformers? These are passive attenuaters that do not add any gain to the signal, you are actually turning the signal down as you turn the knob counterclockwise stepping the signal down 3 to 6 db at a time (per click). What is the Impedance setting you selected? I would be curious to hear how many speakers you have connected in total? Please feel free to respond to my email at Thanks in advance TL/3836
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on April 26, 2016

from Glenside pa asked:
March 16, 2016
I have an onkyo tx-8050. I want to use the second speaker zone to power out door 8 ohms pop rock speakers. Not now but in the future I may want to add on speakers for out side obviously to a bigger receiver. Which volume control should I use and which gauge wire do you recommend. The distance from the receiver to the rock speakers would be roughly 150 feet
1 Answer
Hi Dan: I would go with the OVC-300 for your current setup and for any expansion to your system. The higher power rating guarantees no distortion from over saturating the transformer especially at higher volumes. I would also recommend 14 gauge speaker wire for the distance you will be running the speaker cable. Also checkout our Aqua Blue direct burial terminating connectors. TL/3761
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on March 18, 2016

from Houma, La. asked:
August 13, 2015
I bought 200 watt amp DSM 4 speaker selector two of these 300 volume controllers and 4 150watt outdoor speakers hooked every thing up worked fine for about a hour that sound just stopped amp looks like it is still working but when I touched volume controllers they were both very hot don't know why they got that hot and don't know if they are any more good.
1 Answer
Hi Daniel, So you have our AMP200 going to our DSM4 speaker selector, and then you have two of the four zones on the DSM4 going to these volume controls? What impedance did you have the volume controls set to (1/2x, 4x or 8x)? Did you have the impedance protection on the speaker selector activated? What are the master levels set to on the back of the AMP200? Let us know. Thanks!
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on August 14, 2015

from Pineville, La asked:
August 12, 2015
I would be using a Sony receiver with 6ohm output running to a pair of Niles 8ohm rock speakers. Which volume control do you recommend? 300 or 305?
1 Answer
Hi Brad, I would go with the OVC305R
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on August 13, 2015

Mark Miller
from Suburbs of Philadelphia, PA asked:
July 5, 2015
I want to use the OVC300 to control a pair of outdoor speakers but I also want to be able to control a pair of speakers in my family room. MY AV receiver has a Zone 2 output which I assume I will have to splice to the 2 separate volume controls. Which volume control should I use for my family room?
1 Answer
Hi Mark, You could use the SVC-300, but first I would recommend checking the specs of your receiver to see if it can even handle running two pairs of speakers (4ohm load). Typically receivers can only run on 8ohm loads (1 speaker per output).
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on July 9, 2015

from Out there somewhere asked:
March 31, 2015
Does this work with the Yamaha NS-AW592 6 ohm speakers?
1 Answer
Hi Grant: Yes this 6 ohm speaker will work with this Volume Control. The thing you have to take into consideration is if you are using multiple Speakers each with a volume control and you are trying to calculate the Impedance number setting on the Volume Control. If 8 ohm is considered 1X and 4 ohm speaker is considered as 2X then 6 ohm would be considered 1.5X. Our volume controls have a combination setting of 1/2X. But if you were to connect two pair of these 6 ohm speakers (3x setting) you might have to go the next higher setting... 4X.. TL/3220
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on April 13, 2015

from L.A. asked:
July 13, 2014
I've using the OSD-OVC300 with a pair of AP490. They sound great, but I feel I'm not getting enough sound to the actual pool area. I was thinking of adding a third AP490. Is that okay or should I upgrade the speaker AP670's?
1 Answer
Hello Rome, Either way. The AP490 are the smallest speakers we carry for outdoors, so upgrading to a larger speaker will give your more volume and bass response, but you still may require more speakers to cover more ground.
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on July 14, 2014

Bob Rossi
from Franklin, Massachusetts asked:
May 16, 2014
I have 3 defintative tech aw 6500 in my yard. Want to run 1 14/2 mono wire from my amp to a volume control. Amp is 70 WPC ( Elan ) This volume control to handle all 3 speakers. Can you advise on what product to buy and how to set? Also, will this be enough power to drive the speakers? Thanks. Bob Rossi
1 Answer
Hi Bob, What is the lowest ohm load that your amp can handle? If it can only handle 8ohms, I wouldn't advise to run 3 speakers, only 2. The volume control can handle it, but your amp needs to be able to handle it as well. BM 2684
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on May 20, 2014

from sc asked:
April 19, 2014
I am going to install a pair of klipsch aw 400 outdoor speakers that will be sourced by a onkyo tx515. Would this be the outside volume control to get or is there one better suited?
1 Answer
Hi Brian, You can either run the OVC300 or the OVC305R. The 305R is a resistor based volume control whereas the 300 is an impedance matching volume control. Since those speakers are an 8ohm load, if you are planning on just running the single pair off your receiver then you can use the OVC305R for optimal sound. BM 2628
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on April 21, 2014

from Tennessee asked:
April 13, 2014
I have a Tx-sr604 I am wanting to hook up 3 speakers on my pool area via zone 2 on the receiver will this work to control the volume on all 3 units?
1 Answer
Hi Cody, This volume control can handle up to 3 pairs of speakers on it, so 3 individual speakers should be just fine. I would just make sure that your receiver can handle more than a pair of speakers. Thanks! -BM 2611
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on April 14, 2014

from Los Angeles asked:
August 21, 2013
I am getting a new AVR with Zone-2 capabilities which will be assigned to surround-back outputs(100wx2) of the AVR to power 1 pair of AP490's. In between the SB output and the AP490, I will be using the OSD-OVC300. Will I need to configure the OSD-VC or will it configure automatically? If not, what is the ideal setting? REASON: I had an identical setup with my previous receiver (different VC) and ended up eventually frying my AV receiver which had A/B speaker output. With that configuration it would play max volume by bypassing the VC, but when I put the VC back. It caused by AVR to go into protection mode. I had to monitor the level I would set the VC to prevent it from activating the protection mode, but recently I guess the protection mode failed to kick-in and my old AVR fried.
1 Answer
HI Rome: The OVC-300 needs to be set to 1/2x which it may already be set at out of the box. The switch is located inside the 3/4" opening on the bottom of the weather proof box. Based upon what you are describing you were using the second zone output from your front stage speakers where there was no second zone output. Typically I would have not have recommended loading that output with a volume control. You should not have the problem with the dedicated zone 2 output as long as you just are driving a single pair of speakers. TS-2162
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on October 16, 2013

from Milwaukee, wi asked:
July 25, 2013
I don't understand how the connections occur since the volume controls look like they have wires already attached. How do you connect the system to these wires? do you have to have a junction box nearby the volume control to connect to the wires that come with the volume control or can you take those out and wire the speaker and amplifier wires directly to the volume control?
1 Answer
Hi Ed: You have to terminate the input and output wires to the leads coming out of the bottom of the weatherproof box. The four input wires left and right (+/-) are connected to the speaker wires coming either from the Amplifier/Receiver or even speaker selector. The output wires will be terminated to the speaker wires going to the actual speakers, again two conductors for the right (+/-) and two conductors for the left (+/-). OSD offers both a four Conductor (in a single jacket) and two conductor in a single jacket. The four conductor is ideal for connecting the Amplifier to the Volume control then use the two conductor to go out to the speakers. All our speaker wire is CL3/FT4 Rated (for in-wall or in-ceiling) and approved for direct burial. If you are mounting the OVC300 on a 3/4" PVC pipe you will need to use Butt Splices which are available at any electrical store or do it yourself hardware. Do not use electrical tape. Look for a butt splice for 16 gauge conductors to match the connecting wires from the OVC300. There are also other terminal caps you can use checkout our Aqua Blue direct Burial connectors as another alternative. TL-2105
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on August 21, 2013

from Memphis, TN asked:
May 21, 2013
I have a Yamaha VX-675 receiver with a Zone 2 single pair speaker terminal set. I also have a set of Insignia Outdoor rock speakers, 8 ohm-100watts and a set of Klipsch 8 ohm-75 watt speakers. What single volume control should be used and how would I wire it to the four speakers? The rocks will be around the pool while the Klipsch will be under the roofline.
1 Answer
Hi Rich, Sounds like you will need an amplifier to drive your extra pair. Consider our AMP200 if you plan on expanding or want more power than the receiver puts out for your outdoor speakers. If you only use one pair, the smaller AMP120 will suffice. We do not recommend doubling up on the Zone 2 with 4 speakers; rather add two OVC300 volume controls, one for each pair. Unlike with the receiver or AMP120, if you went with the high current AMP200, you can wire two pair to one OVC300 because the AMP200 can handle the load. CL/MA 1923
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on May 30, 2013

from Lumberton NJ asked:
April 16, 2013
I have a Onkyo TX 855 receiver and a Onkyo M 5010 amp and want to power 4 outdoor rock speakers. 2 rock speakers on each volume control. do I need a speaker selector also? Is this the correct volume control? How do I run the wiring?
1 Answer
Hi Jason, From your Onkyo-M 5010, wire two volume controls in parallel to each speaker pair. Then set the impedance to 2x on both. CL/MA 1803
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on April 16, 2013

from Columbus, OH asked:
April 5, 2013
Will 12 gauge wire work with this volume control? I am planning on hooking up my receiver to some outdoor rock speakers I just purchased. My receiver is in the basement on the opposite side of the house, so I imagine the run inside the house will be roughly 80 ft. The run from the house/volume control to the outside speakers will be about 10 feet. Everything I have wired to my receiver (inside surround sound and speakers running to my shop) is currently run off of 12AWG and I was planning on running 12AWG to the outdoor speakers as well.
1 Answer
Hi Mac, Yes, you can use the powered speaker outputs into the speaker level input of the AMP300. This will become a signal level and allow any audio source that is playing through your receiver to be powered by the AMP300. CL/MA 1769
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on April 9, 2013

from La Vergne TN asked:
January 18, 2013
I have a Onkyo TX-SR 806 I would like to run 4 pairs of speakers off it . Each one with haveing its on volume control. Can you tell me what i need to run this.
1 Answer
Hi Reggie, Assuming you mean the ONKYO TX-SR608, your best setup is to go with an external high current power amplifier like our OSD AMP200 (connected directly to your second room pre-amplified outputs). Then add a ISS4 Speaker Selector (protection disabled, turned off) and four of the SVC300 impedance-matching volume controls (set to 4x) one in each zone. With this amplifier, you will also be able to power two pair of speakers per zone off the single volume control. For even more control in the room, select the SVC205 which features a true on/off switch on the front of the face plate. Let us know if you need help in picking out the proper speakers. Thank you for considering OSD branded products. TL /MA- 1554
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on January 20, 2013

Jonathan Bailey
from asked:
January 13, 2013
I have a Denon AVR-1613 in my sunroom with two Klipsch Bookshelf speakers. I am wanting to add Two Klipsch AW-650's on my deck outside with the OVC-300 volume control. My question is what do I need to get this done. I have a niles single volume control to control volume in sunroom. What setting would I usefir the volume control.
1 Answer
Hi Jonathan, Set both volume controls to 2x. You'll need CL3- rated speaker wire. We recommend our OSD 16-gauge four conductor cable from the receiver to the volume control then 16-gauge two conductor to each speaker. TL/MA 1 1533
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on January 15, 2013

from Chicago asked:
July 29, 2012
I currently have a 12 year old Onkyo 676 (will use outdoor speakers on speaker B), but may upgrade to 717 soon for the Zone 2/Zone 3 capabilities (would use outdoor speakers on those additional zone speaker outpouts). We're looking at this volume control (OVC300) to control the volume for two pair (4 total) RS840 rock speakers. The distance from receiver to speakers would be 50-70' depending on which speaker. To minimize wires, would it be acceptable to run 14-4 from the receiver to the OVC300 (for Left/Right), and then 14-4 from the OVC 300 to an ISS4 (again for Left/Right), and then (4) 14-2's to each speaker? Or would the ISS4 not be needed if we always want all 4 speakers on, and when we run the 14-4 from the OVC300, instead of to the ISS4 we would just run them in paralell by connecting 1/2 of the 14-4 to (2) 14-2's, and the other 1/2 of the 14-4 to the remaining (2) 14-2's? Thanks in advance!
2 Answers
Hi Ed, You would just wire the two sets in parallel to the OVC300 and you would not need the iss4. CL
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on July 31, 2012
Hi Ed, Plus it's a good idea to run 14/4 CL3 speaker wire from the receiver to the OVC300. Then use 14/2 from the OVC300. You can terminate the four conductors coming from the OVC300 or run a two conductor to the first pair of speakers. You could then terminate the incoming from the OVC300 to two more dual conductors (one for left and a second pair for right). Either way will work. TL/MA
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on July 31, 2012

from asked:
July 5, 2012
Hello, I have no experience working A/V equipment and would like to set up some speakers on my pool area. I need some advice on how to complete my project. - I would like to set up 2 outdoor speakers around my pool/deck area and all want is to be able to connect them to my iphone/ipod. - I'm trying to stay away from getting a receiver to keep my project simple and on a low budget. I was wondering if it would be possible to hook up these speakers to a power supply/amplifier and an audio jack? What would I need to get this done? Any advice? Thanks for any help!
1 Answer
Hi Gamal, To drive a pair of outdoor speakers, you have a couple of options. You could purchase our AMP120, which would be about the same price as the RX4015 (receiver). A less expensive alternative would be our outdoor MA2 amplifier. You could drive our AP450s with this amp and it’s rated for outdoors use. The amp also comes with the cable that goes directly into your iPod and includes a tuner/antenna for radio reception. Keep in mind, however, that the MA2 is only 25W per channel so if you’re looking for more volume, I suggest the indoor AMP120 or indoor RX4105 with a pair of our AP520s or AP640s. You can connect your iPod or computer directly into the back of either of these with an RCA to mini cable. CL/MA
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on July 9, 2012

from atlanta asked:
June 24, 2012
How do you hook up more than 2 speakers into this box? All I see is 4 output connectors in the diagram. I have 1 pair of speaker wires (4 wires total) coming from my amp and I want 2 pairs of speakers on my patio (8 wires total) Thank you
1 Answer
Yes, you can connect two pairs of speakers to the OVC300. You have two choices: connect both pairs together to the output leads coming from the OVC300, two right positive from the speakers to the single right positive output coming out of the OVC300. Repeat this for the right negative, left positive and left negative. You'll want to use something like our Aqua Blue connectors. The second option is to run two conductor cables to the right and left speakers of the first pair. Then, using the input connector of each speaker, connect a second set of two conductor cables to go out to the corresponding right and left speaker of the second pair. This would be referred to as daisy chaining the pair together. Make sure to set the impedance switch to 2x. Ultimately the answer is yes; you can connect two pair of speakers to the single OVC300. Thank you for considering OSD Branded products. We do offer both 16/2 and 16/4 CL3 rated speaker wire for both in-wall and direct burial applications. Good luck! TL/MA
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on June 26, 2012

Mark Ambrose
from San Clemente, CA asked:
June 22, 2012
I have a Yamaha Rx 496 receiver that is powering Niles indoor speakers and a sub-woofer. I recently hooked up some outdoor landscape rock speakers. Now the receiver turns off as if a circuit is blowing. When it doesn't blow a circuit, one of the outdoor landscape speakers has normal volume and the other speaker is barely on. Any ideas as to what the problem may be and how to solve it? Thanks!!!
1 Answer
Hi Mark, The Yamaha RX-496 features an impedance-matching switch on the back. Can you tell me what it is set at now, right or left? What is your Niles set up for Speaker A, passive subwoofer or powered? I am assuming you have Speaker B running the outdoor speakers. A little more info is needed before I can totally assess the issue. TL/MA
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on June 26, 2012

from Niantic, CT asked:
June 12, 2012
What gauge wire are the connectors? Why didnt you use screw type connectors like on your indoor vol control? I will be mounting on 3/4" conduit, doesn't leave much space for making 8 connections and inserting into conduit? Or is intent to push them back into box? I have CL2 14 gauge wire from amp and then to speakers. Wire nuts seem to me mayt take up too much room, maybe butt splice is the answer?
1 Answer
Hi Dan, A direct connection to the circuit board inside the box is more efficient and cost effective than through a connector. If you are going to use the ż-inch pipe, I would suggest using butt splices and electrical tape. You will still need something like our Aqua Blue connectors for terminating the rock speaker, especially if it is to be buried. TL/MA
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on June 14, 2012

from Everett WA asked:
April 5, 2012
I am going to buy this volume control. I also was going to purchase some exterior speakers (KB600w) what kind and size speaker wire should I use.
1 Answer
Hi Chris: Size or gauge of the wire depends on more of the distance from the source. You want to run 4 conductor to your Volume control and 2 conductor from the Volume Control to your individual speakers. If the total run from your source to your speakers is less than 80 feet than 16 gauge both 4 and 2 conductor will work. For a run longer than 80 feet 14 gauge both 4 and 2 conductor is recommended. Most of the connections you will be making will accept up to 14 gauge including the Volume Controls and speakers. Some people like to run 14 gauge no matter how long figuring bigger is better. All of oiur CL3 speaker wire is rated for direct burial as well. I hope that helps, thank you for considering OSD Audio. TL
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on April 5, 2012

from Everett WA asked:
April 5, 2012
This volume control boxes can be installed up or down correct
1 Answer
Hi Chris, Yes, you can mount it either way. Just be careful if it's mounted upside down that the hole for the wires is not exposed directly to the elements. You do not want the enclosure to fill with water. If you are mounting it to a conduit or pipe, it should not be a problem. CL
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on April 5, 2012

from georgia asked:
March 24, 2012
how do you wire these up?
2 Answers
Tommy, Our voume controls can fit in anywhere between the speaker and the amp or receiver. They have four inputs and four outputs. You would put your speaker wire (like our 16-2 outdoor speaker wire found in the audio/ video cables section ) from the amp/ recever into the inputs of the OVC300 and then out from the outputs to the speaker pair. CL
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on March 26, 2012
Hi Tommy, There is a set of wires that come out of the bottom of the outdoor housing. There are four pairs of two-conductor cables: White and Black for input marked left and right and Red and Black for output marked left and right. We offer CL3-rated speaker wire that can be used for direct burial cable as well. Check out the Outdoor Speaker Wire section of the website where we also feature the Aqua Blue connectors or Aqua Red connectors which are weatherproof but not intended for direct burial. These are ideal for terminating the speaker wire from your receiver/amplifier/speaker selector to the Black and White input conductors. Typically you connect a four conductor from your source to the OVC300 and then two conductor to the respective speaker. Lastly, depending on your system setup, you will need to set the switch for impedance matching (1/2x, 4x or 8x). This is accessible through the same hole located at the bottom of the outdoor housing. TL/MA
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on March 26, 2012

Mr. Pils
from Land O' Lincoln asked:
March 24, 2012
I have a simple amp with a single set of speaker outputs for left and right currently connected to some deck speakers. I'd like to add some of your green tic/paramount style speakers to and adjacent patio to the same amp. I think I will always want both sets on, however, I would like independent volume control. I suppose if I want one set off I could just turn the volume to minimum. my question is, can I connect in parallel, using wire nuts to create two each left - + and right - + and then run one of each set to 2 seperate volume controls of this model? Then each volume control goes to its own pair of speakers? Is this dangerous for the amp? Or exactly what this device is made for? Is 1/2x setting the same as 2x or is there a discrete 2x setting? Based on other q&a 2x seems appropriate. Thanks, I love all the products to date. Whole house abus system at inlaws using 13 sets of OSD speakers is superb!
1 Answer
We’ll need to know which amplifier you are already using for your existing speakers. If it is something like our AMP60 or even AMP120, you might have issues loading up two Volume Controls. Does your current amplifier feature a speaker A and B output? If you were using something like AMP200, you could easily use the Speaker A and Speaker B output to a Volume Control, then to the individual pair of speakers. That way you could also turn off either pair at the amplifier as well. The Volume Controls would be set to the 1/2x setting. Also for your new speakers that you want to add, checkout the OMSUB200 combined with the OS525 for a unique Sub-sat system. TL/MA
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on March 26, 2012

from Odenton, Maryland asked:
February 19, 2012
Can these be wired in series? I have speakers on the deck and then speakers in the yard/patio area. Sometimes I will want to turn the yard/patio area down and not the deck area or vice versa.
1 Answer
Hi Bryan: Impedance Matching Volume controls are meant to be wired in Parallel. If you are connecting two volume controls from a single output you need to make sure the impedance setting on each of the OVC300 are set to 2X, if you had three volume controls it would be set on 4X. You can also add any of our ISS or DSM speaker selectors which are wired in parallel as well but add on/off capability and switchable protection if you were not using the volume controls. TL
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on February 20, 2012

from va asked:
November 22, 2011
will this unit work in stereo right and left ch.?
1 Answer
Bruce: This is a stereo Volume Control with a left and right input and output, four conductors in and four conductors out (L&R, +/-). TL
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on November 22, 2011

from lafayette, louisiana asked:
October 17, 2011
I purchased a ovc300 I'm having trouble with the volume . I connected the wires on the receiver to the right and left speaker inputs positive to positive and negative to negative then I connected the speaker wires to the input side of the volume control in the same order, then i ran the speaker wires to the two speakers and connected the speaker wires to the output in the same order the two speaker sound don't sound right when I turn the volume up on the ovc300 the one speaker is louder than the other. when I turn down the volume one speaker you can't here at all.
1 Answer
Volume control are designed to attenuate the sound (turn it down). You have to make sure the output from the receiver/amplifier is properly balanced and set to the maximum comfort listening level. This is when the volume control is turned all the way to the right (fully open with no attenuation). You can also bypass the volume control to make sure you have the balance and volume levels set properly. Also make sure you have set the impedance to 1/2X on the volume control.
Submitted by: Customer Service - Q&A on October 19, 2011

Product Reviews