Why Do You Need Subwoofer Amp?
If you have a powered subwoofer, you don’t. A powered subwoofer has its own internal amplifier which is why they are extremely heavy to lift. A passive subwoofer is simply a woofer or woofers in an enclosure that is designed to handle low frequencies but does not have an internal amplifier, which is why they are not heavy to lift. In-wall subs are most commonly passive. After all, it’s not so easy to install a 100-pound sub inside a wall. That’s where an amp like the SMP250 Mono Subwoofer Amp comes into play. This amp not only adds necessary power but the high-cut filter keeps low bass away from your surround speakers, which in turn gives you much cleaner highs and midrange. This subwoofer amp does much more than supply power. It also improves the overall sound quality of your entire surround sound system.
What Is A Class A/B Amplifier?
In home theater, Class A/B are the most common because they combine the efficiency of Class B with the sound quality of Class A amps. A Class A amplifier uses the input signal 100% of the time, which means that the output signal to your sub matches the input signal from your receiver. The result is virtually no clipping or distortion. Sounds perfect, right? The downside is that Class A amplifiers run very hot because the transistors are working all the time. Class B amplifiers only amplify half of the input signal which creates some distortion but these amps are far more efficient than Class A amplifiers and run a lot cooler. A Class A/B amp combines the best of A and B, so distortion is lower yet efficiency is high so sound quality is truly maximized.
Warning: This product can expose you to chemicals including Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP) which is known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
- Power: 250W Peak Power/150W Continuous RMS Single Channel Mono
- Maximum Outputs: Single 8Ohm Subwoofers or Single 8Ohm DVC Woofer (See IWS8 or IWS-88)
- Easily accessible volume control
- Auto Power On/Off
- Dual Voltage 110/220V Switchable
- Variable High Cut Filter 30Hz-150Hz; front panel knob
- Additional Front Panel Controls: Phase Switch and Volume Control
- Choice of Signal Level Input or Low Frequency Effect input (LFE)
- Three Turn of Choices: Music Sensing, Manaul On or Hard 12 Volt Trigger
- Back Panel Adjustable Gain/Volume Control Limiter
- Both Signal (Low Level) and Speaker (High Level) Pass through input/outputs
- 2-Year Warranty
No Questions asked yet!